Friday 26 September 2014

Endless bloody hugs (21-30)

Ok, I am bored of this now! However, the good news is that I have done my full 50 hugs within the 30 days required. No more bloody hugs! However, as it takes longer to write the buggers up than to give/recieve them, I'll carry on blogging them in batches of 10 for a couple more weeks. That means there's still time for you to sponsor my hugging and walking if you like on my Just Giving Page. 

Inicdentally, I have also completed my walking challenge. I walked 100km of the Thames Path in 23.5 hours. Never pushed myself so bloody hard. I even gave someone a free hug. Clearly I was not in my right mind.  

Anyway, back to the hugs. Back to the tedious process of trying every day to judge whether there's anyone around I am remotely comfortable asking for a hug. But the end was in sight by now and I'd passed the halfway point and could see light at the end of the tunnel. Here are the next ten hugs. 

Hug #21: The Teacher


I've decided to tick off some professionals and here's a huggy teacher. Well, she's all sorts of things really, pro-choice campaigner, pet-feeder, problem solver, mother, singer, wife and friend among other things. Didn't mind *too much* hugging her. I have probably done it before, I confess.

Hug #22: The Old School Friend


This made me wonder if I used to be huggy at school and have lost the knack. My 13 year old hugs her friends endlessly but I don't remember doing that. Anyway, you won't be surprised to know this was the first person to check themselves in the photo in case another take was required. <cough> vain <cough> to use a subtle old school technique. 

Hug #23: The Former Boss


And this one made me wonder if all workplaces are as huggy as Brook. I don't think they are. I don't think this one was anyway. Except when we dealt with agencies. People in agencies are always so damn huggy. Still, that's now 2 bosses I have hugged. Which means I don't need to worry about 'hug your boss day' for 2 years.

Hug #24: Teenage Boy 1


I'll be frank, I was expecting a flat refusal so was surprised when he obliged. Another one of those dreadful young people we hear so much about in the media yet he appears to be funny, polite, interesting and intelligent. Honestly, I am beginning to think the Daily Mail might not always be fully factual. 

Hug #25: The Exex Team 1


What would a Brook Executive Team be without a few huggers? Operations here, demonstrating her grasp of the operational aspects of hugging - high quality, cost effective, user-focussed delivery.

Hug #26: The Exec Team 2



Ah, Corporate Services. Making sure hugging is booked several months in advance so as to benefit from discounted prices, doesn't to anything to damage the relationship between the individual and the organisation and is carried out under strict health and safety conditions. 

Hug #27: The Exex Team 3


Yeah, she's hugging but mostly she's wondering if this huggathon is the kind of innovative product that we could scale up and sell to commissioners. She's wondering if I've done enough data collection to demonstrate impact effectively and if I could do a train the trainer season and a marketing flyer. 

Hug #28: The Choir Director


Essentially, undoing all the benefit of the wonderful relaxing, uplifiting singing she helps me do by making me hug. I wonder if she was trying to squeeze those top notes out of my increasingly creaky soprano voice. I should be careful what I say - she'll instigate hugging as good diaphragmatic exercise and I'll never be able to sing again. 

Hug #29: The therapist



Oh yeah, chock full of compassion and empathy and insight into people's needs and feelings and still one of this who took real delight in a big old bearhug. I reckon she thinks it's healing or some such tosh. 

Hug #30: Teenage Boy 2



I know! Another one. Another polite, friendly, cheerful, charming teenage boy agreeing to add to my tally. This one had played a game of cricket and hadn't broken any fingers for a whole game so he was pretty chirpy. 

So that was 21-30. Just another 20 to go, and I was fast running out if friends and family to approach. How did I cope with hugging strangers...? Tune in next time to find out, folks. #cliffhanger



No comments:

Post a Comment